Don’t quit! Refresh! Maybe you’re tempted to leave your nursing career behind, but with so many options in this profession and all the time, money, and energy you’ve put into your position, consider re-charting the course instead.
Nurses work in every field imaginable. So before you throw in the towel, try these tips for a career change that could lead you to a new, exciting adventure in nursing:
- Visualize. Imagine your picture perfect job setting. What time do you get up and arrive home from work? What do you wear to work? What’s the climate like? What do you want to see when you look out the window? Do you want to work with a team or have complete autonomy? Get clear about these details before anything else as they answer other questions.
- Research. When you have your answers for #1, it’s time to do your research. Do you need more education? Is relocating part of the picture? (You may need to research the locale.) Is there anything in your area that would fit your picture?
- Ask for help and network. There may be others who were in the same position you want and who have already charted this path. You can learn the payoffs and pitfalls from them, so your path may be slightly easier. Networking can alert you to the perfect position for you!
- Shadow someone who already has the type of position you want. You may discover there is more to it than you knew, and that it’s really not the right position for you. Better to find this out now, especially if more education is involved!
- Jump in and keep your positive mental attitude! Sometimes a career shift/change is fraught with stops and starts until you truly get things moving. Don’t lose hope or focus because if it something you know you’ll love, once you get there the rough spots will be in the rear view mirror.
The nursing profession has countless opportunities for nurses and shifting your career can renew your passion for this limitless career. Comment below and let us know what new course you’re charting or what new paths you’ve taken in your nursing career!
About the Author: Keynote speaker and virtual conference host, Elizabeth Scala MSN/MBA, RN, partners with hospitals, nursing schools, and nurse associations to transform the field of nursing from the inside out. As the bestselling author of ‘Nursing from Within’, Elizabeth guides nurses and nursing students to a change in perspective, helping them make the inner shift needed to better maneuver the sometimes challenging realities of being a caregiver. Elizabeth received her dual master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University. She is also a certified coach and Reiki Master Teacher. Elizabeth lives in Maryland with her supportive husband and playful pit bull.